Press "Enter" to skip to content

How To Get Rid of Mold and Mildew in Painted Drywall?

Mold and mildew – a form of mold in its early stages – grow easily in damp, warm, and humid or water-damaged areas. Not only are mold and mildew unsightly, but certain strains can cause allergies and serious respiratory conditions along with the damage they can cause to your walls. Safely cleans and disinfect painted walls with common household supplies such as detergent and bleach.

Things You Will Need for Disinfection

  • Mild non-ammonia detergent
  • Warm water
  • Bleach
  • 3 spray bottles
  • Disposable rags or towels
  • Rubber gloves
  • Safety goggles
  • Mask or respirator
  • Plastic sheeting
  • Tape

Steps to Clean Wall from Mold and Mildew

Step 1: Check for mold and mildew damage underlying the drywall before you begin. If the drywall crumbles to the touch or has large cracks in it, consult with a professional on how to proceed, otherwise skip to Step 2.

Step 2: Prepare for cleaning and disinfecting by removing furniture or decorative items from the affected area. Wear protective rubber gloves, goggles, and a mask to protect yourself. Lay plastic sheets down on the floor, over windows and vents, and secure with tape.

Step3: Mix 3 parts warm water to 1 part detergent in a spray bottle. Spray the solution on the affected area. Scrub mold off with a rag or towel. Fill the second spray bottle with clean water and spray to rinse the area. Wipe dry with a rag or towel.

Step 4: Make a solution of 1 part bleach to 2 parts water in the third spray bottle. Spray the mixture onto the affected area. Leave for 10 minutes, then rinse with the spray bottle filled with water. Dry with a clean towel, cloth, or rag.

Step 5: Discard used towels and plastic in a tightly tied garbage bag and dispose of with normal garbage. Flush any water or liquids used in the process in the toilet.

Additional Tip

If there are stains left after cleaning and disinfecting, you can paint over them with a primer meant to cover stains before adding a coat of paint.

If the mold is not too wide and you prefer using a more green method of removal, spray the mold with vinegar and leave for 1 to 2 hours.

After the time has passed, scrub with a baking soda and water mixture. Rinse with clear water.


Black mold can be very dangerous and requires the services of a professional for removal. If your home has severe water damage, it is best to have a professional assess and clean up the mold.

Never mix ammonia and bleach together, as it produces a highly toxic vapor.

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *